On the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we should remember the statesman who signed more major environmental measures than any other president:
- The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969;
- Reorganization Plans Nos. 3 and 4 of 1970 – creating the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration;
- The Clean Air Amendments of 1970;
- The Clean Water Act of 1972;
- The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972;
- The Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act of 1972;
- The Endangered Species Act (ESA) of 1973;
- The Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974.
His name was Richard Milhous Nixon.