Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) at The Hill:

During my time as a Kansas City councilmember, I had the privilege of meeting Republican then-Gov. Christopher “Kit” Bond. Over time, we became friends organically, with our friendship continuing to this very day. However, after Kit was elected to the Senate, and I was elected to the Kansas City Mayor’s Office, our relationship proved not only valuable to us personally, but a benefit to the Missourians we both represented professionally.

Together, made easier by our genuine friendship and the mutual trust that comes with such a relationship, we made the conscious decision to seek common ground wherever possible, believing any short-term political blowback would be erased by long-term benefits to Missouri families. I’m proud to say our partnership helped lay the groundwork for some of Kansas City’s most iconic landscapes today, such as the National World War I Museum and Memorial, the 18th & Vine District, the Charles E. Whittaker Federal Courthouse, and any number of smaller projects that came into existence through our joint efforts.

Believe it or not, bipartisanship is not only possible, it is still preferred by many! However, it is incumbent on representatives of the people to openly demonstrate a willingness to choose reconciliation over imputation; communication over proclamation; and unification over defamation.